ISTP Sanctum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I an ISTP?

+5
madhatter
updownman
Erbse
Duck_of_Death
marginallyistp
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Am I an ISTP? - Page 2 Empty Re: Am I an ISTP?

Post by Siren Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 am

They express volumes in as few words as possible. And not only by what they say, but how they say it.
Siren
Siren
Motorcycle Gang Leader

Call Sign : Dirty Ni
Job/hobbies : krav maga, triathlons
Motto : There's no I in team but there is an M and an E.

Back to top Go down

Post by madhatter Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 pm

marginallyistp wrote:I am back!

Yes, I thought I had truly figured out the gap but I just read over this thing again and it seems like there hasn't been a specific parameter given here.

As a result I still have doubts.

I would like to know what distinguishes the ISTP from the INTP.

A proper distinct parameter or trait.

The essence of the ISTP.

INFJs are known to come up with some really messed up stuff and write it. No one really understands them and we just ignore them because they are really weird. INTPs have little luck too.

So what is the ISTP thing/essence/parameter/trait?

If you're looking for one specific catch-phrase that distinguishes ISTPs from INTPs, I don't believe it exists.

As dominant introverted thinkers, the two types are very similar, more so than many descriptions imply. The only real difference I have seen between myself and INTPs is that there is sometimes some disconnect in communication and focus. I believe this stems from the Se-Ni vs Ne-Si difference. I like Siren's point in saying that we try to express a lot in as few words as possible. I have found this to be the case, just in posting styles. I'll try to make my points short and concise; brevity and clarity combined are important to me. I've noticed that Ne-users in general tend to fall prey to the "wall-of-text". I've also noticed this in real life with my brother who is an Ne-user. When we had to write a paper for class and it had to be at least five pages, I would write to the limit and wrap it up rather quickly. The way I write, I could have ended it sooner, if not for the page limit. My brother on the other hand keeps on expounding on the issue and exploring new angles and always goes over the page limit.

Plus, there is the matter of focus of Se vs. Ne. These functions notice different things, which can cause a disconnect. If I am focusing on the realities or details of a situation or just looking at things face value while my brother is coming at something from a Ne angle, I often don't realize it until we're both getting angry with each other for missing the point entirely. But keep in mind with this example, this is also Ti vs Fi. With INTPs, there can be this "missing the point" on both sides, but it's merely a matter of perception, and not a battle between opposite functions like Ti and Fi.

For example, XNTPs are known for the ability to argue constantly and never get bored. Often we would argue about something that really has no application to the real world. Something that can't been tested or has no right answer. Just a bunch of bouncing back and forth.

I don't see how this has to be an exclusive xNTP trait, especially with the bolded. Where are you getting your information that xNTPs are known for this...personal observation or a source?
madhatter
madhatter
Bounty Hunter

Call Sign : Angry Eyes
Motto : Some people juggle geese.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duck_of_Death Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Siren wrote:They express volumes in as few words as possible. And not only by what they say, but how they say it.

Stop winning, dammit!
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Call Sign : Resident Oddball

Back to top Go down

Post by ohtochooseaname Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm

An ISTP with generally prefer to do stuff vs talking about it.

If an ISTP were at the top of a mountain learning how to ski, he would either be going it alone, or if he happened to bring someone along to give him some pointers, he'd listen to the basics for about 2 minutes, then jump down the hill before having a really complete understanding of the process. An INTP will generally try to understand it as much as possible before jumping in.
ohtochooseaname
ohtochooseaname
Crane Operator

Job/hobbies : Optical Engineer
Motto : "If a butterfly had the teeth of a tiger, it would never get out of the hangar"

Back to top Go down

Post by Duck_of_Death Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Siren wrote:I see you. I know you. You can't hide from me.

Wow...That's really creepy!
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Back to top Go down

Post by WhyIOtter Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 pm

ISTP: completely oblivious to political or hidden implications in the moment. Probably wouldn't have any idea someone was manipulating them if you shouted it in their ear.

I have fun with it. I subtly shift the balance of power and leave my opponents with nothing but their dick in their hands.

Yes and no to both of these...I've observed ISTPs being really good at tactics in an argument and smelling when someone is full of shit, especially in their area of knowledge/competence. However, I've noticed them being notoriously BAD at guessing people's emotional motivations/assumptions, to the point of it being very embarrassing to all involved. The long-term implications of a situation are a big glaring blind spot sometimes, especially if their Se is yelling too loudly in their head at that moment.
WhyIOtter
WhyIOtter
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duck_of_Death Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 am

And I will agree with everything you mentioned.
Do stick around if you don't mind. You're fairly informative.
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Back to top Go down

Post by Siren Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 am

Duck_of_Death wrote:
Siren wrote:I see you. I know you. You can't hide from me.

Wow...That's really creepy!

Haha, I know, that's why I deleted it.
Siren
Siren
Motorcycle Gang Leader

Call Sign : Dirty Ni
Job/hobbies : krav maga, triathlons
Motto : There's no I in team but there is an M and an E.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duck_of_Death Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Anyway--to get this thread back on the road:

Tertiary Ni rules!
Two steps ahead--ALWAYS.

The Ti-Se-Ni knockdown combination devastates everything in its path.
It would be wise to accept this fact and beware. And to those that don't:

Wrath!
Wrath!
Run for the hills!
Godzilla has emerged from the sea.

I am an ISTP.
And I am a force of nature.

(Been drinking, too)
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Back to top Go down

Post by marginallyistp Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 am

madhatter wrote:
For example, XNTPs are known for the ability to argue constantly and never get bored. Often we would argue about something that really has no application to the real world. Something that can't been tested or has no right answer. Just a bunch of bouncing back and forth.

I don't see how this has to be an exclusive xNTP trait, especially with the bolded. Where are you getting your information that xNTPs are known for this...personal observation or a source?

INTPforum, personal observation, most topics are really beaten to death to the point that they reincarnate.Very lengthy posts too. INFJs are longer though.

I am usually concise, but if I am making a decision or asking for advice I pull out the all-angle card and I can ramble at times. I think my weakness is contemplation and hesitation to act. I always if my decision is the best decision or there are better options.

I love making sarcastic one liners all the time.

I am extremely oblivious to peoples emotions. I have on more than one account made someone cry and I still don't know what I did that made them cry.

marginallyistp
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by marginallyistp Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:36 am

ohtochooseaname wrote:An ISTP with generally prefer to do stuff vs talking about it.

If an ISTP were at the top of a mountain learning how to ski, he would either be going it alone, or if he happened to bring someone along to give him some pointers, he'd listen to the basics for about 2 minutes, then jump down the hill before having a really complete understanding of the process. An INTP will generally try to understand it as much as possible before jumping in.

I have that problem too. It's a bit more of a 'closet' thing. When I am alone I most likely to get injured doing something stupid like riding around a city without a license or any riding gear, blowing up stuff, and punching things. When I am surrounded with people I am very focused on risk mitigation. Most activities I carry out confidently have started out in privacy.. I think I try to escape embarrassment subconsciously.

That being said, I don't try to understand much before jumping in, I only become into an information hog when I am interested by a good first experience. I am a big information hog for cars currently but I am started to get more interested in motorbikes as they are much more exciting.

marginallyistp
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2