Performing well under pressure.551

Performing well under pressure.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Performing well under pressure.

Post by Psych on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 am

I know it has been discussed before and mentioned in various descriptions of our personality type, but I really understood the value of this yesterday.

I arrived at work, to be met with a list of things to do by the morning staff. As the shift progressed, another issue would pop up just as I had resolved the last one. I got that adrenaline rush as things started to build up. However half way throught the shift I actually felt like I was really enjoying the experience of acting/thinking quickly.

Hence, the best shift I've had for a while! Plus it went fast.

I also used to like leaving essays to the night before they were due in, when in Uni - made some of by best essays that way.

Any other people like to work under pressure?

Psych
Garbage Chief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Performing well under pressure.

Post by DJ Arendee on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:26 am

I don't perform until I'm under pressure. But if some person is pressuring me unnecessarily, I'll get very agitated and unproductive.

If you wait until the last minute, it only takes a minute!

DJ Arendee
Space Shuttle Captain

Motto: Eat My Ass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psych on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am

DJ Arendee wrote:I don't perform until I'm under pressure. But if some person is pressuring me unnecessarily, I'll get very agitated and unproductive.

Yes, I don't work well when under pressure from other people. It works best when I have a concrete deadline, it's like 'fuck, I seriously need to get a move on!'.

Psych
Garbage Chief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinkist on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:19 am

Psych wrote:
DJ Arendee wrote:I don't perform until I'm under pressure. But if some person is pressuring me unnecessarily, I'll get very agitated and unproductive.

Yes, I don't work well when under pressure from other people. It works best when I have a concrete deadline, it's like 'fuck, I seriously need to get a move on!'.

Exactly. We prod ourselves and need little-to-no outside prodding to get going on something. I also don't like it when I'm told to stop doing something productive when there's multiple productive things I'm doing. Sometimes it feels a little confusing. It's as if someone tells me "work on project X." and then project Y comes into play and I'm told to "stop working on project X we have project Y to do." Clearly I would never tell myself such a thing because I have my own efficient and effective way of going about things and don't need to go along with someone else's system.

I also work best with pressure when not in the presence of others, especially the J types and others who are bent on prodding me to do something. This is because, along with motivation (the other key to productivity), I can actually be productive instead of feeling immobilized with productivity.

Thinkist
Crane Operator

Call Sign: Ti-bag
Motto: Think about it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psych on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 am

It can be so annoying when someone else tells/orders you to do something a certain way, because they think it works for them so it must work for you.

Does it really matter which way you do a task, As long as you both arrive at the same end?

Psych
Garbage Chief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBearKingsWife on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Psych wrote:It can be so annoying when someone else tells/orders you to do something a certain way, because they think it works for them so it must work for you.

Does it really matter which way you do a task, As long as you both arrive at the same end?

Ugh, yes. One of the best ways to incite me to violence: order me to immediately comply with your arbitrary timeline.

TheBearKingsWife
Construction Worker

Job/hobbies: Desk/Anti-Desk
Motto: I have to pick one?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcgooglian on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Psych wrote:It can be so annoying when someone else tells/orders you to do something a certain way, because they think it works for them so it must work for you.

I know I had an ISTJ supervisor once who I got annoyed at me occasionally because I have my own way of doing things but eventually realized that when I did it my way, I was the best at that particular area of all the people who worked there, so she let up and we got along great before I left.

Luckily for me, people tend to realize early on not to tell me to stop working on something to go do something else, or at the very least, to ask politely because otherwise I pretty much go into a "If you're gonna take me away from what I was trying to get done, we're gonna do this new thing my way" mode.

mcgooglian
Motorcycle Courier

Call Sign: porkmuncher
Job/hobbies: Building knee armor
Motto: Lahney hin laas voth ahkrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum