Use for Si? Tell me about your Se.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Use for Si? Tell me about your Se.

Post by spiralshank on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Clarification: these are self-descriptive terms pertaining to S only.

I joined this forum last week thinking I was for sure ISTP for many of the above reasons.

Wanted to hear what ISTPs have to say about Se.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by carok on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea I threw that together hastily, sorry for whatever I missed. Well there you have my two cents. I hope you're finding the forum helpful. Welcome Smile
carok
Construction Chief

Job/hobbies : Enjoy MBTI study & Obscure strategy games
Motto : Some shmoozing is not a bad thing

Back to top Go down

Post by madhatter on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm

@carok, I definitely experience number 2 on your list.

madhatter
Bounty Hunter

Call Sign : Angry Eyes
Motto : Some people juggle geese.

Back to top Go down

Post by ohtochooseaname on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:24 am

madhatter wrote:@carok, I definitely experience number 2 on your list.

Me too. I always say, You gotta try a food at least 3 times to know that you don't like it. The first time, you might not like it, just because you didn't know what to expect. The second time, you may have started with a bad opinion of it, but on the 3rd try, if you still don't like it...you can now officially say you don't like X food.
ohtochooseaname
Crane Operator

Job/hobbies : Optical Engineer
Motto : "If a butterfly had the teeth of a tiger, it would never get out of the hangar"

Back to top Go down

Post by Siren on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 am

I'm very picky about what I eat. If I don't like the look of it or the smell of it, I'm not eating it - not even a little bit. I'll cross things off my list just knowing what's in it. That's another thing - I want to know everything that's in a dish before I decide to try it.
Siren
Motorcycle Gang Leader

Call Sign : Dirty Ni
Job/hobbies : krav maga, triathlons
Motto : There's no I in team but there is an M and an E.

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 am

Yes,

The ingredients have to pass inspection. There are many ingredients that I will not go anywhere near (bell peppers and pineapple for example). That which I do like, I eat without restraint. I find though as I age I am less and less eager to pack my stomach full of food to the point of debilitation.

Must smell right.
Must be cooked right.
Must not be stale or past its shelf life.
Must be prepared in a sanitary environment - wet countertops, handwashing, cross-contamination, cutting boards, handling the garbage - silent

I will get food poisoning if you give me the chance hahaha. Highly susceptible to the placebo effect.

Also, highly reluctant to try new food, unless it somehow reminds me of something else before I try it.

hmm, What about other sensory experiences? Here's a question for ISTPs:

How do you make the distinction between what is safe and what is unsafe in your environment?

For me, I clearly "make the distinction" by filtering the environmental data through Si. "have I been here before?" "what happened then?"

Is Si an irrational function? Is Se an irrational function?

Let's use the example of a high speed motorcycle or walking on a roof. As mentioned already in this thread, many of these high-risk experiences are not particularly distressing (somewhat enjoyable), but they do require alertness and I am careful about it. My rationale is that the limits I set for myself in the physical world are more extreme and flexible than limits set for us by the authorities, because I have total self-confidence that I will emerge from these situations unscathed.

However, when I find myself in a situation which I perceive as dangerous - example: being on a rooftop and approaching the edge. Frozen in my tracks. I doubt this would happen to an ISTP - I think they would be more likely to have confidence in their footing on a rooftop regardless of how close to the edge they are (seeing as how the slope doesn't change). Same goes for walking walls. I would think an ISTP would walk the second-story exterior walls just as readily as he would the first-story; even though the potential for injury increases as height increases, the risk of falling does not change based on how high you are (unless you let it take over).

Would a fear of falling be irrational on a rooftop regardless of where you are? Would it be rational on a rooftop regardless of where you are? Is it rational to fear you're going to fall when you're near the edge but not when you're near the ridge? Is it rational to be comfortable with the fact that your motorcycle is going so fast it's lost the ability to steer a straight line and is wildly shaking side to side, even if you've never "been there" before?

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ohtochooseaname on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 am

Siren wrote:I'm very picky about what I eat. If I don't like the look of it or the smell of it, I'm not eating it - not even a little bit. I'll cross things off my list just knowing what's in it. That's another thing - I want to know everything that's in a dish before I decide to try it.

Food is all about the ensemble (I don't really buy into the visual part of it, but it's mostly about taste and texture, and the experience of eating). I have many personal creations, which most people wouldn't even consider, and if I can get them to try it, it's about a 90% success rate for everyone except for my wife. She's extremely picky, so in the beginning, it was only about a 10% success rate with her, but I have her taste pretty well figured out, and I can usually get it right 75% of the time...I'm sort-of her unofficial food taster to determine whether or not she should try something new.
ohtochooseaname
Crane Operator

Job/hobbies : Optical Engineer
Motto : "If a butterfly had the teeth of a tiger, it would never get out of the hangar"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum